Monday, January 27, 2014

iPads in the News

Here is an article regarding iPads in the recent edition of the Corvallis Advocate.  I also wrote the editor a letter.  See below.

http://www.corvallisadvocate.com/2014/new-issue-january-23-2014/


Dear Corvallis Advocate Staff,

Just a quick note of appreciation. As the principal of a school piloting iPads here in Corvallis (Linus Pauling Middle School), it’s been a very busy first half of the school year.  Although we piloted tablet technology during the previous year (about 200), moving to a 1:1 environment has been a very complex initiative for our students, parents, staff, and community!  As you shared, there have been many positives stories and also challenges. 

Last year, we hosted tours for the Leadership Corvallis civic group and they were very complementary of what they saw both with technology and without it in our classrooms.  We have the group coming again on Tuesday, Feb. 13th.  My staff and I look forward to opening our classrooms to the community.  

Obviously, I have a unique insight as a “classroom supervisor” in my admin. duties and speak regularly with students, staff, and parents.  It has been interesting hearing the various views and interpretations from our community stakeholders less connected with how technology is actually integrated in classroom instruction. 

Last Friday after a long week, my family and I went to go grab a bite at Block 15 before the OSU women’s basketball game.  While waiting for a seat, I noticed the recent issue of the Corvallis Advocate. I chuckled flipping through when I saw not one but two iPad stories…tongue in cheek, I told my wife “I can’t escape.” 

I was uncertain what would be captured in the articles.  “Unchartered waters” can be a little scary for everyone and I found both your articles to be well-crafted and balanced.  Thank you for taking the time to speak with educators, the board, and parents—it was evident that you truly listened and did some homework (perhaps even with technology).  I think your writer’s suggestions for our district moving forward are excellent.  We are truly listening and passionately desire to see our early adolescent students increasingly engaged with access to information, communication skills, organized, etc. all while being really good humans (including digital citizens).  It’s a tall order, but I think worth the effort—even if I can’t escape it J

Most Sincerely, Eric Beasley