Sunday, September 15, 2013

Legacy Reflection from Summer





I love baseball. I grew up in the baseball town of The Dalles on the Columbia
Gorge and enjoyed playing it as boy through college at George Fox University.
After my pitching days concluded (I couldn't go pro with a fastball in the low 80s),
my journey continued as high school coach in Sherwood, Oregon.  In mourning my beloved days in the dugout, I readily confess that I drag my children to OSU and Knights games when time allows. To increase the chances that the love of baseball will transfer, I strategically plan for games that include fireworks or a give-a-away. :-)

This summer, I led my family on a pilgrimage to Safeco Field to watch my team
the Seattle Mariners. The game included a coveted bobble head doll, but more
important to me was the pre-game ceremony to formally induct the great Ken
Griffey Jr. into the mariner Hall of Fame (Cooperstown won't be long after).  I loved watching Griffey play as a young man.  Along with Jr.'s family, on hand were Mariner greats including Alvin Davis, Randy Johnson, Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, and Dan Wilson.

Ken Griffey Jr. was a tremendous baseball player. He excelled in every aspect of
the game with his beautiful swing, gold glove plays in center field, and big smile
that helped him earn the nickname "the kid." Ken exuded love for the game of
baseball and serves as a reminder to all that we need to enjoy the journey.
During the presentation ceremony, the story of Jr.'s baseball prowess was certainly glorified, yet even more impressive was hearing about the lives that Griffey touched
through his involvement in "Make a Wish" foundation. His teammates highlighted
his loyalty and friendship in the locker room and impressive respect for the
history of the game. It was shared how Griffey was a tremendous family man. A
video was beamed in of his son who was preparing for a football season at the University of Arizona that caused Jr. to tear up. A representative from baseball
spoke of Griffey's advocacy for societal progress in areas of equity. Ken was the
catalyst behind baseball's annual day where all player's where Jackie Robinson's
number 42 which is the only number that is completely retired in all of Major
League Baseball.

Driving home, I was reflecting on Griffey's legacy. Taking care of family, excelling in your profession, giving back to the community… these are key elements of a tremendous legacy, but Griffey also reminds us to also put the hat on backwards and remember "the kid" inside of us all.  Thanks, Ken!


-Eric Beasley